Just imagine your spaghetti bolognaise topped with flaky puff pastry. :D
Recipe adapted from SBS Food. (Serves 8-10)
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets
- 500g penne
- 500g pork mince
- 300g bacon, finely diced
- 500g onions, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300g cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 400g canned diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 500ml chicken or beef stock
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Sauté the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add pork mince, stirring well to separate and break up any lumps.
- Add stock, mix well and bring to boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add canned tomatoes with purée.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just undercooked.
- Drain and mix with sauce, adding tasty cheese. Stir in beaten eggs.
- Spoon pasta into a baking dish and top with your puff pastry sheets. Making sure to cut some holes to allow the steam to escape.
- Brush top of pastry with some beaten eggs. Bake in oven for 45 minutes.
Fresh out of oven.
Mine didn't turn out as red as it should be as I didn't use tomato paste. For a dish that requires star ingredients such as bacon and cheese, I'm quite disappointed with the outcome because I know I can create so much more lip smacking stuff with those key ingredients which consumes less time.