Recipe adapted from Super Food Ideas.
- cooking oil
- 500g beef shank (suggested by the butcher)
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced
- 1/2 bulb of garlic, sliced
- 4 sticks celery, sliced (I omitted this)
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks (I used 4 instead)
- 430g can of tomato puree
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- Pat the beef dry with a kitchen town to ensure that the beef browns. Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook beef, in batches until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil, onions, leeks, garlic and carrots to pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Return beef to pan with tomatoes, wine and stock. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Serve with crusty bread or with mashed potatoes as a side.